Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Where there's smoke...

Well, after three weeks of hanging out in Kavieng, New Ireland, only 2.5 degrees south of the equator, I’m back to the cool mountains of Ukarumpa. I look forward to sharing with you more about my escapades on the island. But, in the meantime, I’d like to share with you this awesome photo that I snapped as we flew over West New Britain.


 That’s not a cloud. That’s smoke. It’s an erupting volcano.

Even just looking at it gives me the shivers! I know for many people in the world, volcanoes erupting is rather mundane. Get up, start the coffee, feed the dog, note the volcano...
 

But, for me, my visions of volcanoes are forever tainted by a rather vivid and photographic rich early Roman history unit we did in grade school about Mt. Vesuvius and all those pictures of people, curled on their side, buried under ash.... and so, as we fly over, I can’t help but wonder if a plane was hit by volcanic ash....


I’m going to stop talking now. Enjoy the photos. I’ve got more stories coming!